Thursday, October 9, 2008

Staying until the end










Yesterday I left work early and drove up to Orem to watch Kenny's JV football game, something I have done about 5 times this season. Chances are always better that he will get to play in a JV game rather than varsity. He was in for three or four kickoffs, and his team was up 18-7 with about five minutes left. I had already talked myself into staying just a "little bit longer" a few times, knowing that the dinner schedule would be tight with Jim watching girls and running Jon to his FB practice, and me having YW.

Just then, I saw Kenny go in at corner, and right off the bat, the play came his way. For a split second I thought he was beaten, but then he reached out and tackled the receiver and stripped the ball simultaneously, then wrapped up the loose ball on the ground for a Springville recovery. He was elated and I was too. He got all kinds of high fives from teammates on the sidelines.

Springville didn't do much with the possession and ended up punting. Mt. View had the ball deep in their own territory. They threw an out to the receiver on Kenny's side, who looked to pitch it to another guy running by-- a hook and ladder--a play they had scored on in the first half. Kenny was covering the pitch guy and the pitch went bad. He scooped it up and ran it in for a TOUCHDOWN! I had the camera up by my eye when it all happened, AND my phone rang right when the play started. I told Jim "Hold on!" and put the phone down while this play transpired. He heard some cheering and me hollering. Then I screamed at him, "Kenny just scored a touchdown!" It was very cool. I wish I had a better picture of it. You can see him at the back of the end zone (#89).
Kenny had a great night, reliving his shining moments and getting praised by teammates and coaches alike. I was psyched to have been there and seen it. Dinner turned out fine--I talked Jim through it.

4 comments:

Jules said...

I'm very happy for Kenny, even though he scored on my alma mater. I loved the picures, I could see the big Bruin on the field and it took me back. I'm so glad you got to see the play, remember when I turned my head at the soccer game and missed McKell's goal? Things did turn out fine and I wouldn't have cared if you were late for YW, it was for a good cause.

Marcy in TX said...

Congrats to Kenny - Something about being in the right place at the right time! for both of you. Way to go!

The Nestos said...

Way to go, Kenny! And way to be there too, Dar. I miss some of those moments of sports brilliance... we'll see if the future holds any athletics in store for our girls. (sigh) Hope Kenny gets more chances to play and score.

TracyH said...

Wow for Kenny and great that you were there to witness it and then describe it so well for the rest of us. :)