Thursday, August 27, 2009

Happy Birthday, Shelly!


Today is Shelly's birthday. Yes, she is old. I asked her if she wanted a new hearing aid or walker retreads, and she said she'd just take a big bag of prunes. Ha ha.

Actually, we celebrated her special natal anniversary two nights ago at the Def Leppard concert. You remember DL, they were really popular in the early and mid 80s. They are touring with Poison (we like to pronounce it poo-swah') and Cheap Trick. We missed Cheap, but we heard Poison and were blinded by their light show. They trained us to scream out every time they said "Salt Lake City" to the crowd. or it seemed like it.

Def Leppard sounded really good for a bunch of guys who have been playing rock music for 30 years. We were way too far back to see them, but they could still move around the stage well and they put on a rockin' show with lots of hits like Bringin' on the Heartbreak, Rocket, Photograph, Pour Some Sugar on Me, Rock of Ages and a few others I remembered. Shelly way outshone me in the singing-the-actual-lyrics department. She is a true fan. I am a fake. But we had fun singing and listening and people watching. Wow. What a crowd. I don't get out of my Happy Valley bubble all that often, and I know why! (Mullets and tank tops and beer...oh my!) Not to mention the plentiful potty language and tats everywhere. I definitely felt like a minority with my long pants and long-sleeve shirt on. Very interesting.

But I digress. It's Birthday time! Please raise your Dr. Pepper high...to an unbelievable friend who always has my back...who can tell a story like nobody else...who laughs and loves and works her tail off...who gives generously... who has great taste (especially in friends)...
Happy Birthday, Shell! We love you!

6 comments:

The Campbell Clan said...

Great post Dar! Love the commentary on the concert. Sounds like quite a show! Glad you ladies had a fun time and that you could celebrate doing something silly.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHELLY! Thanks for being a great friend to Dar and for being part of our family. We love you and wish you a merry year!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Dar! It was a great birthday. I was spoiled by you and your family and loved it. And plus, how many people get their favorite band to come to town to play for their birthday?

karrijhartman said...

To Shelly [picture me raising my Dr. Pepper here . . .]

Marcy in TX said...

What a fun way to celebrate and birthday and a lifelong friendship! Congratulations to both of you!
Shelly - I'm sorry I missed it. hope you know "you're not getting older - you're getting better!

Jules said...

I am so bummed about missing DL. Adam told me he appreciated me going with him to the Temple instead, so I guess it was worth it.

Shelly really is one of the greats. Happy Birthday Shelly, glad you had a good one. Can't wait for the next lunch or GNO.

Jan and Larry Myers said...

Dr. Pepper raised high, higher, highest! (Although I don't remember Shelly getting old . . . nor you!) Love to you and your family!