Friday, April 16, 2010

Winkin', Blinkin' and Bored


Shhh... Don't tell the doctor, but I've snuck onto the computer just for a minute. Been grounded for a week now with eye surgery. Somehow I tore my retina up pretty well. Just lucky (or unlucky) I guess. But my surgeon fixed me up, and I've been resting it quite well (no reading, computers, running, 4-wheeling, electric toothbrush, lawn mowing, cooking, vacuuming, etc. etc.). And no work. Not the kind of vacation most people would sign up for (and if I'm paying for it, I'd like some scenic photos to show for it!).

I had a vitrectomy and scleral buckle. Jim and Shelly said there's a youtube video out there that shows the procedure, but it's pretty icky.

4 days after surgery. No shiner. Looks normal if I keep my eye shut.

But I am happy that I feel pretty good and am on the mend.



6 days after surgery I can open my eye more. It's very red...

I'm grateful for:
a good eye
many great friends and neighbors who are so kind and generous to me!!!
the beauties of this earth
medical technology that prevents blindness in this case
a kind surgeon and anesthesiologist and nurses who tried to quell my fears
other senses
good music and uplifting talks on CD
a priesthood blessing
the option of sleeping on more than one side
clean washcloths
the ability and permission to walk!
phone calls
Nurse Jim and Nurse Shelly for all of their help and pampering
We should have started a list of nicknames before the whole thing happened. My metal eye protector (post surgery and worn at night for the first week) was like something from the Terminator or a Star Trek Borg. I know... cool.
Here's winking at you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ewwwww.. the second picture DOES look like terminator!

Wendy said...

Eye surgery is just the weirdest. I had a small growth on my reitna that I had surgeried (is that a word?!) about 9 months after Jacob and I got married. I could not believe that the doctor was going to operate on my eye! Happy and speedy recovery to you!

The Campbell Clan said...

Thanks for the update. I hope it is feeling groovy soon. Still so crazy that you found it and it all worked out. I am glad you are ok.
I miss you & love you lots. My Emmie still prays that you will "fight off your eye surgery" and "please bless my Aunt Dar that loves me."
We are cheering for you and loving you even from a distance. Hope you are feeling great again soon!

Rachel J said...

ouch! Way to go counting your blessings through a tough situation!