Monday, January 26, 2009

Treading Water and Stuff

Seems like we have been so busy lately. The end of January marks three family birthdays in eight days, which means excitement. Katie turned 8 on Friday and we had a small-scale family soiree that night. She REALLY enjoyed her friends party on Saturday. I took her and 6 pals to a bowling alley where they bowled two games and got free drinks. They even got special treats if they got a strike. Well with bumper bowling, strikes were plentiful for some of the gals. Only one cried when she thought she would never get a treat. Guess who... yup, you're right. I reminded her that she had a large Symphony bar at home from the night before and that helped a little. (It's still hidden in my sock drawer so daddy won't break down and eat it.) Any of you had a Tomagatchi? I don't know how to spell it, but it's a little electronic toy that's kind of like a pet. You have to feed it and do other things (by pushing buttons) to help it, or it will die. Here's a tip, don't buy one. Katie is obsessed with it, and now so is Lee Lee.

Katie will be baptized this coming Saturday, and we hope to see a few extended family members there. We had several extra Britts around yesterday as Jim was called to be in our new bishopric. It was one of those things that people had been speculating about for months, since our former bishop's 5 years were up in October. But we didn't think much of it until late December or early January when I got a funny feeling that I couldn't suppress. I shared that with Jim after a week or two, and we thought, whatever happens, we'll do our best. Funny thing, the stake presidency met with me before they met with Jim to tell me about the calling. Poor Jim was in the foyer sweating up a storm. We are excited and humbled about this. I'm not sure what it will mean for my Young Women's calling. I'm sure there's some reorganizing to be done. I will miss sitting by him on Sunday, although half of the time now there's a small girl in between us. I think it will be really good for Jim, and a good challenge for our family. We love the other people that were called and look forward to serving. We all (outgoing and incoming bishoprics and their wives) were part of sacrament meeting yesterday. I thought it was really nice.

Funny story
So last weekend, my in-laws showed up unexpectedly on Friday afternoon. They live 75 minutes away (depending on who's driving). They had gotten a little confused and were, actually, two weeks early for Katie's baptism. So they spent the night with us and we visited Saturday morning for a while. At one point, during a small lull in the conversation, grandma turned to me and said, "I'm sorry we're crazy!" which caught me off guard and was really funny. I told her they could stop by anytime and not to worry. Perhaps I should try this when I do wacky or perhaps regrettable things. "I'm sorry I'm crazy." Enough said.

3 comments:

Jules said...

From what Adam says our days are numbered. Whatever we do I hope we get to see each other.

Anonymous said...

I think I always have a comment and today is no different. It was a privilege to get to be at Sacrament Meeting with Dar and family yesterday and to see the changing of the guard. I know all of the outgoing members and their wives very well and I know all the incoming members and their wives. Dar and Jim both spoke and they did an excellent job - I was proud of both of them. I teared up when Dar did, and bless Katie's little heart when she said, "See? I told you she would cry!" Hahahaha. Anyway, Jim will make an excellent member of the bishopric (as will the other two men) and Dar will make an excellent wife of a member of the bishopric.

Funny story... Jim was cute as he was speaking and turned around looking for Dar to confirm how long they had been in the ward. She had switched seats after speaking and he couldn't see her. He made some gesture and got a funny look on his face and said something like, "I can't function without my wife!" Everyone in the audience laughed. I happen to know that there is some truth in that statement. They make a good team.

Mrs. White's library world said...

COngratulations, I guess. I love sitting next to my husband after all thesse years and two terms in different bishoprics. I may steal the catchphrase " sorry taht we're crazy" for use at home and work.
Have a great week.