Thursday, July 14, 2011

Best Job Ever

I heard a discussion on the radio recently about "the worst job ever." And it made me flash back to the summer of 1988 (I believe) when I did an assortment of temp jobs, including one and only one day at a meatpacking plant with bologna fat under my fingernails.

That led me to muse, "What would be the best job ever?" When asked for my "dream job" 15-20 years ago at a church mingler, I answered, "an ice cream taster." This would still be fun but would not be conducive to weighing less than 400 lbs.

I think it might be really cool to work at Sam's Club as the person who writes on your receipt with a highlighter as you leave the store. I think I have the skills necessary. I could even provide my own yellow or blue marker.

I also think it would be fun to be a movie critic. But I wouldn't want to see all the slasher movies or the skin flicks and other dumbness. So I would probably only critique 6 movies a year. Can't make a living doing that.

Maybe I could get paid to watch NFL games and blog about them. I really would enjoy that for a season. Here's hoping there is a season this fall...

I don't really want to move to Hawaii or some other exotic place for a job, no matter how cool. And I'm not that much into travel.

I don't mind getting myself dirty, as long as I'm not covered in manure or tar. But somehow I don't think the best job ever requires you to bathe extra.

With a few years still to go on the mortgage, I better stick to my current job. It may not be the best ever, but it's pretty good!

2 comments:

TracyH said...

best job ever: Just be you. We all love having you in our lives. :)
ps - ice cream taster still sounds good to me.

Rachel J said...

Love it. :)